Saturday 10 March 2018

Half way through the Orthodox lent and why I am doing it

It is that time of the year when Orthodox Christian people reflect about their life through eating simple plant based food for six weeks before Easter. But wait, that's difficult ?! - were my daughter's words ..
What I didn't tell her is that the "eating bit" as a matter of fact is easy. The difficult bit is the spiritual site of it. We reflect by staying calm, being thankful and grateful, forgive, pray and more ....
Don't forget who you are and where you from - that's why I am doing it ....💧💛💦💛

I make my simple food looking good as well as being tasty by adding colours and textures, it works ....






This dish is perfect for quick and easy lunch or snack. It can be eaten hot or cold.
Ingredients:
120g fine polenta
550 - 600 ml water
salt and pepper 
8 to 10 black olives, chopped
4 to 5 sundried tomatoes, chopped (optional )
2 spring onions, chopped
1 fresh sliced tomato
dry oregano 
fresh parsley
olive oil

Cook the polenta in the water that you added a splash of olive oil and salt.
While still warm add the veggies and pour into an ovenproof dish ( oiled ).
Top it up with sliced tomatoes and season with oregano, salt, pepper and some more olive oil.
Grill for 5 minutes on high temperature or oven bake on 200 C for 10 - 15 minutes.




This salad is made by leftovers with added some fresh ingredients to keep me happy and healthy..
I used cooked brown rice
cooked brown lentils
handful of chickpeas
I place those three ingredients into a small steamer for 5 minutes.
When food plated, I then add fresh spinach, chili, purple cabbage, avocado and my favorite condiment  Gomashio ...





Best vegan carrot cake

You can find the recipe on my blog, here is the link.
How ever, I added a coconut cream on the top as well as some seeds.
To make the coconut cream simply whisk the cream of one coconut milk ( discard the water, use it later in a smoothie ) 2 Tbsp maple syrup or powder sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.



This is the seeds that I used to top up the cake.....






2 comments:

  1. I think we should all reflect about our lives through eating simple plant based food and be thankful for what we have, it can be genuinely humbling. I love the colours of your dishes. If you have time Laura, please join in with EatYourGreens this month - The VegHog is hosting and we always look forward to see what you have made. Also thank you for the suggestion around sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These dishes look delicious, I really need to try that polenta tart. Good for you for taking part in lent. It's good to reflect and be more modest and humble. I'm sure it makes the time until Easter very valuable.

    ReplyDelete