Tuesday 2 January 2018

Caramelized onion hummus with seeded flatbreads

Happy New Year 2018 !!!
Christmas is over so as the eating chocolate, drinking prosecco and long sleep in the mornings....
I am going to kick start this January with this delicious hummus inspired by

 15 minutes vegan

and those beautiful organic homemade flatbreads ....







For the hummus you will need: 

2 onions, sliced
1 tin of chickpeas or 300g cooked 
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp tahini 
juice of one lemon
generous drizzle of good olive oil
salt

Heat some olive oil in a pan, add the onion and slow cook until caramelizes.
Tip the chickpeas into a bowl. Cover with boiling water and allow to sit while the onion is cooking.
Tip drained chickpeas into a blender, half the onion, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and garlic and blend until smooth.
Serve the hummus with the rest of the onions...






For the flatbreads I used:

400g organic seeded brown flour
about 250 ml water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt 
1 Tbsp sesame seeds

Simply mix the ingredients, form a dough and leave it to rest for a few hours or even overnight.
When you need the flatbreads, heat a non-stick pan , dust a surface with flour, tip the dough on it and divide the dough into 10 - 12 balls.
Roll each ball flat and place them on the hot pan 2 or 3 at the time.
Cook the breads 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until nicely coloured.
I like to brush the flatbread with olive oil before serving.
 Any leftover ? you can freeze them ( never happened to me though ) 

note: the breads have a nice texture, more on a chewy side rather then soft 
  




here are some photos of my Christmas baking that I never had time to publish it:

Gingerbreads

Boozy homemade mincemeat 



Stollen






1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Laura. I love your homemade bread and the stollen, which I admire that you made at home - I bought mine, naughty me, but its still unopened would you believe. Also liking your gingerbread men, another thing I did not get round to making, your looks really happy. Best wishes for 2018

    ReplyDelete